May is my birth-month! I especially think of my childhood and my mom making turmeric milk, “aka Golden Milk, for me and my sister when we were growing up. Turmeric milk has been used for centuries in India and other parts of Asia for strengthening immunity. Turmeric is an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, antiseptic super root/spice. Back then turmeric milk was dairy-based and didn’t have any sweetness, so it was a disappointing flavor from a kid’s perspective. Today there are so many choices of milk-alternatives and natural sweeteners. I had the pleasure of tasting a Korean version of turmeric milk, which was delicious and nutritious; and it inspired this version of turmeric milk. Treat yourself and kids today to an immune building preventative remedy for whatever new illness is around the corner! It is especially good for colds and flu. Introducing my new & improved….turmeric milk! Boost your immunity, invest in your health, and savor the deliciousness!
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch ground cardamom
- pinch saffron
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and cardamom over medium heat until it boils.
- Turn off the heat.
- Mix in the honey.
- Pour into a mug and sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.