- 1 head/11 cups organic cabbage, shredded
- 2 outer leaves of cabbage, whole
- 1½ heaping Tablespoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ heaping Tablespoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon ajwain seeds (optional)
1. Except the outer cabbages leaves, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Let stand for several hours to extract water from the cabbage.
3. Using washed hands, thoroughly rub the cabbage and spices together for about 5 minutes.
4. Gently squeeze fistfuls of the mixture separating the brine from the cabbage and fill a glass storage jar with the cabbage first, then the brine.
NOTE: Fill the jar almost to the top leaving room for expansion.
NOTE: The cabbage should be submerged under the brine.
5. Fold and add the outer cabbage leaves and push down the mixture so these leaves are also submerged under the brine as much as possible.
6. Over the next 24 hours, pack down these outer leaves into the brine routinely.
7. Allow to sit at room temperature over the next 3-4 days. Each day brings more fermentation and “sour” taste.
8. When it has reached desired fermentation, open jar and pack sauerkraut down. Re-seal and refrigerate.
9. Enjoy over the next several months. Keep refrigerated.